Friday, April 3, 2015

Going Through the Motions

This past Shabbat we celebrated Shabbat HaGadol, the Great Shabbath.  A friend asked what that meant to me. In thought it meant all the Sabbaths of the past year, some were most holy and uplifting, some left me feeling that I had missed a Divine appointment and I wanted to go back and do it better not just going through the motions but really being present.  In entering the new year we have the chance to gather all those precious and holy moments and take them with us leaving behind the parts that fail to elevate and uplift not only ourselves but the people around us. After all beloved, we are in this together and owe it to each other to make the most of our time together.

At the Passover Seder we are reminded that the exodus from Egypt was not just a one time historical event. The Hagaddah says, " In every generation one should regard himself as though he personally had gone out of Egypt. ( Ex. 13:8) Metaphorically, we are still in Egypt. The Hebrew word for Egypt is Mitzraim which means " narrow straits" which represents all psychological, emotional, spiritual and physical constraints. While we are in the physical world, there are varying degrees of bondage that we experience. On Passover particularly and throughout the month of Nissan, it is a propitious time to free oneself from internal and external constraints, to make a personal exodus from our personal mitzraim.

Mindy Ribner asks the question, "How do we really move forward to greater freedom in our lives? That is the question. She says, "It is not easy to change, to become unstuck, and feel free to be who we really are. To help us to spring forward in our lives, we are given the holiday of Passover in the month of Nissan with all its rituals and observances that help us break through limitations and go forward in the ways that our soul yearns to do. We can not do it alone. We need divine assistance. By forging a stronger connection with G*d through prayer, meditation, and doing acts of kindness ( mitzvot) we place ourselves in alignment with Divine blessing. We feel most alive and vibrant when we are connected to G*d. Give yourself time each day in personal prayer to stand in the question. What does G*d want of me? What does my soul need to heal, grow and shine? Talk to G*d and listen carefully to what opens within you."

Mindy also says, "In this month of Nissan, it is particularly important and helpful to watch your speech. The healing dimension for this month is speech. It is through our speech that we redeem or enslave ourselves. We create our reality through our speech. Be sure to take time each day to express your gratitude to G*d and people around you. A word, a look, a gesture of appreciation, a blessing to another person just for being in your life can be a holy passport that opens gates for greater freedom for each of us. We may never know how precious words of blessing and appreciation are to both the giver and receiver."

Let us make the most of the time we have together beloved, let's make this year be different from all other years, instead of going through the motions~May we all have an inspiring Passover~Elisheva

This song by Matthew West is my heart's cry to my Father in Heaven https://youtu.be/ZUg9qE_KjLg
 The Motions
 This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?
No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life
Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?
Take me all the way (take me all the way)
Take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
Take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
Take me all the way
I don't wanna go through the motions
~Matthew West

No comments:

Post a Comment